Work at Couchsurfing
Front End Engineer
Couchsurfing is the world’s premier social travel platform, with over 12 million members in nearly every country in the world. Couchsurfing changes people’s lives. Hearing the stories of Couchsurfers whose lives have been transformed by travel is the greatest reward for doing what we do. Join us and every day thousands of people from every country in the world will meet in person and embark on new adventures as a direct result of your work.
We are a small, nimble and hyper-focused team who are building the next generation of this powerful service, with a strong focus on mobile. Our platforms include web, ios, and android, and our mobile audience is growing rapidly. If you’re interesting in making a big impact at a small company with a passionate and large user base and growing revenue streams, then you’ll like it here.
Experience and skills we’re interested in
- At least two years working as a Software Engineer in a team environment
- Effusive love for a CSS framework, ideally the SCSS flavor of SASS
- Experience with modern web frameworks, ideally Ruby and Rails, a big plus
- Predisposition to leveraging existing systems instead of creating your own
- Interest in best practices for User Experience and User Interaction
- strong aesthetic sense and the ability to both make things both look good AND work well
- Experienced in lean, agile development practices
A bit about you
- A track record for learning new skills and being able to contribute with them quickly
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, and the ability to take constructive feedback well
- A talent for simplifying, and passion for great design
- Passion for travel a plus!
Culture and perks
- Awesome co-workers who care about building a great service and each other
- We work hard and play hard - you have freedom to get the job done, but must deliver results.
- Tasty AND healthy group lunch
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Ping-pong where walls, ceiling, and floor are in play
- Couches galore
- Staff in the Wild program - each month we send a CS employee Couchsurfing somewhere on planet earth!
This position is located at Couchsurfing HQ in San Francisco, California.