Work at Couchsurfing
Lead UI/UX Designer
Couchsurfing is the world’s premier social travel platform, with over 12 million members in nearly every country in the world. Couchsurfing changes people’s lives. Hearing the stories of Couchsurfers whose lives have been transformed by travel is the greatest reward for doing what we do. Join us and every day thousands of people from every country in the world will meet in person and embark on new adventures as a direct result of your work.
We are a small, nimble and hyper-focused team who are building the next generation of this powerful service, with a strong focus on mobile. Our platforms include web, ios, and android, and our mobile audience is growing rapidly. If you’re interesting in making a big impact at a small company with a passionate and large user base and growing revenue streams, then you’ll like it here.
About the Role
As the Lead UI / UX Designer, you’ll be responsible for every aspect of design of our website, apps, and company. You’ll be responsible for developing the majority of designs yourself, and for bringing in contractors and others to support you and the Couchsurfing team. You will interact daily with the SF-based Product and Engineering team members, and weekly with our Community and Executive teams. We’re a small, nimble, and fast moving team so you’ll have your hands in a bit of everything.
Due to our ever growing client list and our best in class office culture, where on any given day we may have happy hour or inter-office video contests, we are now looking to add a Sr UI/UX Designer to our team.
If you are an experienced consumer-software UI / UX Designer, we would love to speak with you!
- Work with our product and engineering teams to build beautiful, effective products
- Create all necessary wireframes, visual prototypes, and final design specifications
- Own the look and feel of every element of the Couchsurfing experience
- Manage our customer insights and usability research to inform user experience design
- Be the steward of the Couchsurfing brand
- 4+ years of prior experience leading design for a consumer software product
- Exceptional visual design, user experience design, and user interface design skills
- Great written & communication skills
- Great ability to seek and interpret feedback while expressing your own views and rationales
- Background in mobile app design a plus: nearly half of Couchsurfers are using our native iOS and Android apps
- Experience working with agile development process a plus
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive compensation & equity options
- Open vacation & sick time
- Flexible work hours
- Employer paid health insurance, vision, and dental
- Group lunch from our own chef around a communal table
- Stocked kitchen & beverages
- Dog friendly office space
- Couches galore
This position is located at Couchsurfing HQ in San Francisco, California.